Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Gasoline to rise. Our turn to take the hit...
In Newfoundland and Labrador, consumers will wake up to find that pricing for gasoline did, indeed rise a couple of more pennies, to reach an unprecedented level for this time of the year.
Spot pricing for stove oils however, are showing a downwards trend thankfully...
So far, gasoline shows a 2.7 cents a litre increase while stove oils show 1.24 down. That's with two more business days to go.
I expect that both numbers will be less than what I have here with the next two days measurements included. I expect gasoline to show a more moderate increase than what I have and for stove oils to decrease still further.
Keep your ears to the media to hear the details. I'll have a release out in the morning when numbers for "day 13" come into play.
Now, for what's on my mind after all these increases in other jurisdictions the last couple of days...
When I first heard of the latest rounds of "panic buying" I kept wondering how these companies or businesses manage to stay in business without some sort of consumer revolt. I am absolutely amazed that some of these businesses could charge what they did-when they did without any hard evidence to justify such an increase in pricing to the consumer.
Vancouver did not deserve to see pricing that hit $1.32 a litre at the pumps. Nor did Toronto residents who saw an added 10 cents a litre.
Spot pricing for gasoline product peaked at 7 cents from April 22nd to reach 67.1 cents a litre on April 30th...
Just because we're dealing with a "savvy" oil industry that knows they can "do maintenance" to justify a draw on United States gasoline inventory does not justify the move in pricing that consumers saw. Shutdowns for refinery maintenance is taking longer to achieve the last couple of years and the periods that they claim for taking refineries off-line to do it, are getting longer.
Why?
My belief is that refiners want to draw on inventory to drive up pricing simply to recoup the capital costs for such "maintenance". The more time they take in getting refineries up, the less inventory is made available for the summer driving season. The less inventory gives the trader more time to speculate on future pricing of gasoline and other motive fuels and that means higher pricing to be paid for a product that is so important to the consumer.
We're lucky -this time- that our market here in Newfoundland and Labrador, is regulated. What regulation did at this time-frame the last week was take away the initiative for the companies to drive up pricing here. It also protected the consumer from an "artificially created" and imaginary problem that was created by the New York Mercantile Exchange traders. We were, at least partially protected from the hit consumers had to take on the mainland.
Should there be an investigation into the oil company's practises in North America?
Yup!...
Darn tootin'!...
Regards,
George

11 comments:

Mike said...

All this is happening because the oil industry can do it with impunity. No other reason.

EGSnyder said...

Hi George:
Just heard you on CBC radio here in Ottawa. Good work you're doing here. Can I get on your mailing list please!?

EGSnyder said...

Forgot to leave my email address -- EGSnyder@gmail.com

Paul said...

Hi George. Just heard your CBC spot. Your are friggin' awesome. I have been suggesting for a long time that Big Oil has been involved in 'hegemony'. You need to wiki hegemony if you don't know it yet, it describes perfectly the shady practices these oil executives are doing behind closed doors.

How to stop hegemony? I don't know. Us Canadians have been living in a 'lumber baron' type hegemony since way back. The owner of the lumber company in a region has a private meeting with the mayors of the local towns and villages. He invites the owner of the local mining company and maybe the chief of police too. What could they be talking about? Who knows but I am sure they would work out who builds where and who hires who and who gets all the money.

My take on it is that if the everyday average North American knew about all the shady practices going on then they would want to revolt, to change. They just don't know. Why don't they know? My take is that Big Media purposely selects news that serves the allegancies they made behind closed doors so it is Big Media that stands in the way.

If we are to make Big Oil more accountable and transparent to the people they provide for, then I feel first we need a secure way for the people to know exactly what is going on. Hence, MEDIA REFORM.

You, George, are definately a dude on the path for MEDIA REFORM. What you write about is progressive and positive. You are genuinely speaking out for the 'little guy'. Thank you.

Paul, balsam_hornby@yahoo.com

Ronni said...

Hi George,

I also heard the CBC radio show this morning. Please put me on your email list. Thank you for your efforts.
Ronni Ishaky
rishaky@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Good for you, George Murphy, and I wish we too, here in Vancouver, had a similar watchdog. Altho we can check with our Gas Tips, for local prices, its an infoirmation blog, not the watchdog advocate we need now. You have set a good example of activism.

Jeff said...

Hey there George, I just heard you on CBC this morning, and I love what you are doing. Great work. Out here in Vancouver the price is up to $1.30. I would love it if you could add me to your mailing list as well

hender_bender2003@hotmail.com

Keep up the good work George, and who knows, maybe if enough people get onto mailing lists like this big oil might just realize that people are going to start fighting back and start to become accountable. Here's hoping anyway.

George said...

Thanks for all of your comments. I appreciate them all.
I have had some problems with putting "private" emails into a mass sender lately. I guess basically what happens is that my server recognises me as a spammer when, in fact, I'm not. Maybe Big Oil got something to do with that?..lol
In the meantime, I'll try to get over the problem and get you all on my list of notification. It's a bit harder to do predictions on a national basis but, maybe what the notification will do is do something that Big Oil has failed to do in the past-keep you all informed. Maybe what the best thing to do is have everyone visit the blog every time I think there's going to be a price change, and also give my "practical"advice through here...

Thanks for all the kind words. Feel free to tell everyone about the blog and what happens here. I usually try to post here quite a bit.

Richard Hayes said...

George:
Thanks for all the work you do - we usually pick up info re increases thru the media, but would appreciate being added to your mailing list when you can do so.

Richard Hayes said...

vk1nf e-mail is
rhayesnfld@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi George,

Caught your CBC radio episode here in Calgary on Sunday May 13 2007. I dont know what can be done about the oil monopoly... He who controls the Oil controls the World. Buy a peddle bike?

Could i subscribe to your email list please:

oyster_777 at yahoo.com

Thanks.
Oliver