Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What's wrong with oil?
I was asked the other day what it is about oil that has attracted so many to invest in it rather than sink money into other things that one would consider "recession-proof".
Present investment in oil is a little disheartening to see to the average consumer but to play folly with my investment plan and put that money to risk on oil instead of other solid things, is a little suicidal in my belief. That's part of the problem that I have with the latest run-up in crude oil pricing for which the US dollar has taken the back seat...
I don't understand how simple rules of economics can be ignored and money invested in a product that will see some sort of decline in usage if the recession talk comes to fruition. If we are indeed, heading towards recession, jobs and energy usage are the first to feel the blow of any slowdown in economic activity. Then why is there such heavy investment in oil?
I've heard every excuse in the book as to the reasons why you and me are going to pay at the pumps for investors folly but, is that any reason to become a spark that will aid in causing a recession at the same time? When will the spark come that will "start" the slowdown on demand and cause pricing to slip again? If there is recession then high prices for crude oil and their related commodities will surely be the reason for it. That, and George Bush's entry into Iraq... 17 billion in the war now, and counting.Is there any other reason for it?
By the way...
I still have only eight days data out of a possible fourteen that still shows a slight drop in gasoline pricing (2.3 a litre) and a slight increase in heating-stove oil numbers (1.5 a litre). Both modest numbers on already high prices should also be a warning for the oil investor out there: you're already starting to deal with the laws of diminishing returns.
I'm betting my money on the inevitable decline in crude in the next few months if the trend of recession continues. I would suggest to you people who have unknowingly invested in oil through your pension palns to get in touch and ask questions about your investors "investment"...It is, after all, your money...

No comments: