Monday, February 01, 2010

Numbers so far

Happy Monday, if there is such a thing.

I guess you all know by now that regulation of prices will take place once a week from this pricing period on.

A couple of things first off...

As you all know, heating oil is subject to changes once a year whenever winter rolls around, when the winter heating blend comes into play for a few months. I also tell everyone that, until the winter blend use cuts off in I think the first week of April, that the heating oil number can just be used as a guide rather than the actual that will occur.

The same now goes for diesel...

Kind of screws things up a little bit and that's probably why I saw my diesel numbers go straight to H..E two sticks. Diesel was projected to decrease by 4.5 and we only saw 3/10ths of a cent down.

That's what prompted me to look at the PUB release in an attempt to track down "why". They have now moved to a winter mix for diesel to meet "pourability" in cold temperatures and to meet sulphur regulations placed by the federal government.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't we already implement "ULS Diesel"? We've been using it for years already with no complaints before...

For now, just use my quoted diesel number as a "guide" as to the trend in diesel pricing, that is until the winter diesel blend comes off, again, in April I believe.

In the interim, here's what I have so far for prices that will, again, be set on a weekly basis:
  • Heating and stove oils show a 1.37 cent a litre drop.
  • Diesel shows a drop of close on a penny, and...
  • Gasoline shows a drop of 1.9 cents a litre.

I'll be back here tomorrow night with the full seven days of data, but it is looking like only slight decreases all round this week.

Regards,

George

No comments: