Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Numbers this week so far
Last week, I told you about the possibility of fuel price interruption on all fronts.
While the numbers are still up considerably for all fuels, there seems to be some retreat for others. The market sell-off on Monday this week may very well have been enough to thwart any increases that could have come this Thursday. That's not to say that there's not anything in the cards for next week instead. We need to see an extended downturn in the oil markets to change any possibility of an increase to consumers then.
Some numbers are a downright "I don't know" when it comes to predicting what will happen to them for this week, however...
Here's what I have so far, keeping in mind that the heating oil number may be close to what I have here for stove oils. Problem again here is that I simply can't get that jet fuel component to make the accurate prediction. The "actual" that may occur could be more than what I have for stove oils. Keep in mind that, while I operate on the basis of a 3/10ths of a cnet margin for error, I could be wrong and there is always the possibility that an increase could happen when I have no increase showing in the numbers.
  • Gasoline now shows 1.9 cents a litre up. In other words, no interruption here this week.
  • Diesel shows an increase of 3.5 cents a litre, just outside the requirements for interruption. That doesn't mean my numbers are going to be the right ones this week. Volitility is key in the numbers this week.
  • Stove oils shows an increase of 3.6 cents a litre, just a bare 4/10ths of a cent out.
I will be posting again tomorrow when I have more data. These numbers are based on six days out of seven needed for interruption to occur. For it to happen, we need a consistant four cent a litre change over seven days of data.
Regards,
George

No comments: